What is Pumpkin Seeds?
Pumpkin seeds had been consumed by human beings more than 8,000 years ago. Pumpkins are native to North America and had since been cultivated all over the world.
Pumpkin seeds is a popular snacks in Europe and the America as roasted pumpkin seeds are not only highly nutritious, they are also tasty to the local population. Pumpkin seeds also act as remedy for quelling parasitic infestations.
Pumpkin Seeds Nutrition
Pumpkin seeds are a good sources of protein, and trace metals like iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. In addition, pumpkin seeds also contain anti-oxidants and is an excellent source of B-complex group of vitamins.
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz) of pumpkin seeds|
|Energy||2,401J (574 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||6.5 g|
|Thiamine (B1)||0.07 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||0.15 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||4.43 mg|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.57 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Folate (B9)||0.057 mg|
|Vitamin C||6.5 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.56 mg|
|Vitamin K||0.0045 mg|
Pumpkin Seeds Benefits
– High in calories.
– Packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and numerous health promoting antioxidants.
– Helps lower bad LDL cholesterol and increases good HDL cholesterol in the blood.
– Helps prevent coronary artery disease and strokes.
– Holds good quality protein.
– Helps reduce anxiety, nervous irritability, and other neurotic conditions.
– Curbs free radical damage.
– Reduces risk of prostate and ovarian cancers.
– Helps to prevent diabetes.
How to Eat Pumpkin Seeds
1. Roasted pumpkin seeds are tasty and enjoyed by many in the world as snacks.
2. Raw kernels of pumpkin seeds can also be taken as healthy snacks.
3. The kernels can be roasted/toasted with salt, lime, chilli or peppers for different flavours and taken as snacks.
4. Pumpkin seeds are used in the Mexican mole sauce.
5. Pumpkin seeds can also be used in bakery goods.
6. Pumpkin seeds can be sprinkled over salads.
7. Pumpkin seeds can be added to desserts.
Although there are few incidences of pumpkin seeds allergy cases, persons with previous history of allergic reactions to seeds and nuts need to observe caution when consuming pumpkin seeds.