Chia seeds are touted as one of the most healthy seeds in the world and some call it super seeds. This is because chia seeds are loaded with nutrients beneficial to our body and brain.
What is Chia Seeds
Chia is a flowering plant that belongs to the mint family. It is native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. In the past, it was cultivated as an important food crop by the Aztec and Mayan people. It is currently cultivated mainly for it’s seeds due to the discovery of it’s super seeds benefits.
Chia Seeds Nutrition
Chia seeds is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B(B1, B2, B3 and B9), vitamin C, Vitamin, E, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
|Chia Seeds Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||2,034 kJ (486 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||34.4 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||54 μg|
|Thiamine (B1)||0.62 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||0.17 mg|
|Folate (B9)||49 μg|
|Vitamin C||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.5 mg|
Chia Seeds Benefits
With all the above vitamins and minerals concentrated in chia seeds, consuming chia seeds is thought to help in reducing joint pain and promote weight loss. Chia seeds also slow down our body’s speed of converting carbohydrates into simple sugars, thus is widely believed to be able to help in diabetes and prevention of heart diseases.
Chia seeds also contains high amount of antioxidants. Antioxidants are important to our body as they fight the production of free radicals (free radicals damage molecules in cells and contribute to ageing and diseases in our body).
How to Eat Chia Seeds
1. Added as topping to other foods.
2. Added into smoothies, cereals, food bars, yogurt or bread.
3. Adding water or juice to make into gelatin for consumption.
4. Consumed raw, but do note that due to it’s high water absorption properties (about 27 times it’s weight!), this is not recommended. If you need to consume chia seeds raw, remember to drink lots of water.
1. As mentioned above, chia seeds can absorb lots of water, thus, you need to drink a lot of water if consuming chia seeds raw.
2. If you are using anticoagulant, it is not advisable to consume chia seeds as it might increase the risk of bleeding when in contact with anticoagulant.
Where to Buy Chia Seeds?
These are the few recommended chia seeds products from Amazon:
If you are looking for more choices, or other chia seeds products, you can check out the Amazon Chia Seeds store.